Manager of Communications and Public Affairs
Sophie Dessart’s experience centers around strategic communications, journalism, and project management. Prior to joining Florence Copper, she most recently worked as a consultant for Phoenix-based Global External Relations, helping mining companies cultivate their social license through social risk assessments, stakeholder mapping, and social media analysis.
Sophie has a Masters of Global Management in Global Affairs and Global Business from the Thunderbird School of Global Management in Phoenix, Arizona. While at Thunderbird, she worked as Editor-in-Chief of Thunderbird’s Das Tor News & Media, where she led a team of nearly 30 from over 10 different countries. Her work was honored when she received the Barton Kyle Yount (BKY) Award and Dean’s Circle Award upon graduating at the top of her class.
Sophie is a member of the American Exploration and Mining Association (AEMA) Society Class 2021-2022 and the Arizona Mining Association Communications Committee. She serves on the board of the Greater Florence Chamber of Commerce and is the President of the Florence Copper Community Foundation. She also volunteers as an advisor to the Executive Director of the Clarisse Machanguana Foundation, a social venture focused on educating youth through sports.
While Sophie has lived across the U.S. and abroad, Arizona holds a special place in her heart, as she spent part of her childhood in Tucson and completed her graduate degree in Phoenix. She now is a proud resident of Florence and loves exploring local Pinal County libraries for her next favorite book and cooking in her free time.
- B.A. Business, Sweet Briar College
- Masters of Global Management, Global Business & Global Affairs, Thunderbird School of Global Management (Arizona State University)
- Manager of Communications and Public Affairs, 2022-Present, Florence Copper
- Consultant, Global External Relations, 2021-2022
- Editor-in-Chief, Das Tor News & Media, 2020-2022
- Contract consulting projects in U.S., Belgium, and Spain, 2020-2022
- Precinct Inspector, Michigan Department of State, 2016-2018
- Florence Copper Community Foundation, President
- Greater Florence Chamber of Commerce, Board Member
- United Way of Pinal County, Board Member
- American Exploration and Mining Association, 2021-2022 Society Candidate
- Clarisse Machanguana Foundation, Advisor
- Barton Kyle Yount Award
- Thunderbird School of Global Management Dean’s Circle Award
- Sweet Briar College Emilie Watts McVea Scholar